Tuesday, March 09, 2004

So I was told today that my writings can sometimes be too heavy...Yup, I can go with that, but it is who I am but yet, at the same time, there is so much more that makes up me. So, for those of you who are interested to see another side of me; here you go.

I dust off my funny ha-ha hat and bring you a story of a semi-rainy, autumn night in downtown Vancouver. I was out street skating with Sean and Heffe - just guys being guys and causing trouble with the local, um, uh...street-life? So, eventually we took refuge from the rain under a bank awning, and attempted to warm our wet bodies. I was standing across from Sean when it happened - Heffe (which means 'Boss" in Spanish) skated by us, and pretended to slip on the wet sidewalk. He kind of grinned at us, and himself, before suddenly his wheel actually did catch in a small innocous puddle. In a split second, the board under his feet shot forward with his back foot still on the grip tape. But his back foot? It slipped off, and somehow someway, kicked back behind him just as his body was falling to the ground. At the same time his body made contact with the cement, his left foot came up and kicked him in the head...Just picture that okay? His leg did not so much fall underneath him so much as it bent back, G.I. Joe style, and kicked his own head. Sean and I just stood there in shock and watched it happen. Heffe jumped up to stare at us with a wild look in his eyes; a question of what he had just felt being true or not. We looked at him, and both said, "Yeah, man, you just kicked yourself in the head!" We all started laughing at what just happened, and to this day I still cannot believe that the human torso is capable of something like that, you know? We are not meant to bend that way, but for that one night, Heffe broke all the rules and made it happen. The last time I saw him was in Vancouver and that was like 3 years ago; I wonder what it is that he is doing now and where he might seehis life going. Sean is a different story and I ended up living with him last year in Whistler - yup, just me, him, and Butta all in a tiny one bedroom apartment, living up the high life of a dream in the mecca that is Whistler. It is funny how some friendships stray and how others are never given the chance to get off the ground.

But that, my friends, is another story for another day at another time - no more heavy stuff, right? Right. Hey, who has two thumbs and loves ice cream? This guy right here (picture the author with his thumbs pointing at his chest for the full effect).

"Ever notice how it is a penny for your thoughts, yet you put in your two-cents? Someone is making a penny on the deal." - Stephen Wright

No comments: