Monday, March 08, 2004

I remember, years ago, sitting on a bench in downtown Nanaimo and pondering what my next step would be. Was I to move to another set of mountains or go back to school? At that same time, I recall watching a sea-plane take flight and leave the calm waters of the harbour in its wake; if only I could have done the same. It wasn't too long after that when my life began to take another form, away from the perfunctory way of daily living until then...My search for her led me to a copy of her, away from her, and into the mountains where I thought she might be hiding out - away from the world and awaiting my arrival. I listened to the words of a song about a dream-girl - one that fit so perfectly that it could not be meant to lead me astray - and my questioning lead me deep into peaks of snow and oceans of soft sand. But, my hunt was one of unfulfillment, sadness, but yet, one of insight and understanding. My last five years were not a waste, but they were needed to spend the time in between to ready myself; to become the man I am on the way to becoming. Along the way though, I passed by and saw so many imitations of the real deal, and they all threw monkey wrenches into my plans. But now? I am where I wanted to be from so many years ago, and even though my reason for coming back was not based on her, it ended up that I would meet her here. I heard a rumour that she loved the mountains and the snow, but I went there and found it to be just that - a rumour and not the truth. How was I to know that it would happen in the most basic place; a place I had left long ago, and upon my return found her there. Not so much waiting for me, but instead, actually planning her departure. That, my friends, is what makes it real to me - that more time is needed to understand my innerself, making myself, and most important of all...wait for her return to me. She is my original in a row of impostors, but our time is not exactly right now...but it is not that far away. How can I know this u may ask? It's pretty easy actually - I have always asked a question for one particular reason...and always held my breath as I waited for the reply. Then, one innocuous night of conversation, I recieved the answer I always wanted. It is that simple...Mine is the story of the shepherd boy who meets his match on the other side of the equator, and who now just has to bide his time until she is ready for me. Huh...life and what it throws at me is the reason why I wake up every morning with a smile, and prepare to take on the coming day. Minus that first groggy half - hour, that is. Hold on McGinty. Hold on.

"The rumours of heaven only speed the truth on earth
My dark angel shine your light on my curse
You are the other that I have to find
Until I do, I guess I'll see you round my mind." - Blue Rodeo

No comments: